Friday 24 January 2014

WHAT Nigeria President Jonathan Says About Presidential Ambition!

photo - 2015 Ambitions: President Jonathan Opens Up
President Goodluck Jonathan explained why he is yet to declare his decision on whether he would run as a presidential candidate the next year. According to him, doing so now would contravene the electorial laws.
Jonathan, who spoke yesterday on CNBC Africa on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum conference in Davos, Switzerland, said he would wait for the specific time, as prescribed by the INEC.
"I am not going to talk about whether I am standing for election or not because it is not in line with our laws," he told the television station .
"INEC have a time frame within which candidates are expected to declare. If you declare before that time you are actually contravening the Nigerian laws. So I won't tell anybody that I am contesting or that I'm not contesting.
"It is not proper for me to do that. It is not proper for any Nigerian to declare any interest now. If you do that you are contravening our electoral laws."
INEC's deputy director of public affairs Nick Dazang has commented on the President's words
"According to the Electoral Act, candidates can only declare their interest to contest for an office when INEC issued the timetable for election.
"After that, their parties can open the sale of forms for interested persons... Unless INEC issues the timetable for the elections, candidates cannot declare their political interest. But mark you, we have not yet issued the timetable for the election."
Also, Jonathan spoke on the circumstances of his becoming President in 2010 and his subsequent election in 2011.
"When you talk about election, 2011, I contested. I became a President when the late President [Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, 1951 – 2010] died. I took over by virtue of our constitution.
"We have challenges. I can say that I was just a President standing on one leg because I was not formally elected but still I promised the world that we must make sure that our elections are free and fair. At the end of that election both local and international observers said, 'Yes, it is the first time Nigerians have conducted elections that was free and fair.'
"I am telling the world now that the 2015 elections will be free and fair, credible and will be peaceful though we know there are flash points now, but before the middle of this year most will die down and the world will know that Nigeria will again conduct election that will be free and fair."
The Independent National Electoral Commission has recently maintained that the general elections may be held in January-February, 2015

No comments: